Thursday, May 3, 2007

At Long Last, Put-In, Day 1



After arriving in Anacortes on May 2 with good weather forcast for the next day, Marc and I decided to leave a day early. Our last minute shopping (for things like waterproof bags that had been destroyed by a leaky DEET container) had been done in Seattle so we were ready to go. I think it was a measure of my excitement that I didn't remember until 2 days out that one of the reasons for arriving in Anacortes early was to practice rescue techniques with Marc, since we had never done that before. Maybe we can practice en route. I was also hoping to spend some time playing in Deception Pass, where the currents and whirlpools are pretty dramatic. It would have been a good time to get used to how my loaded boat would handle in squirrelly water. But that, too, would have to wait.

But, in general, I'd have to say my excitement was muted. By what, I'm not sure, but I think I just have to be on the water paddling to let the excitement seep in.

It's amazing to me now to think back at all the time, energy and planning has gone into this trip. And now it's time to see if it's all paid off!

No comments: