Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's getting closer...


Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes my way. And to those of you who think this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard of, well...we'll see.

I finally got all my gear packed up yesterday, and, amazingly, it all fit in the boat! I had to stuff the tent in the cockpit in front of my feet, but that'll work. My gear weighs 130+ lbs. Including the 4 gallons of water I'll be carrying some of the time, I guessing around 165 lbs. I took the rig down to Cochiti Reservoir for a test run in the evening. It's sluggish, but it still floats. It's kind of like paddling with another person strapped on the boat. But I can roll it so I guess it's different than having a person strapped on. Not that I expect I'll have to roll on my trip, but it's a nice boost to my confidence knowing I can roll it if I have to.

So now I feel like I'm ready to go, and I've still got a couple days before driving out.

It's hard to imagine what this trip is going to be like because I've been so focused on the details of gear and packing and logistics, I haven't had time to think about things like that. Now I can allow myself the time. But I still have very little idea what it will be like. Will I be spending all my time dealing with rain, finding suitable camping, staying warm, and worrying about what the ocean conditions are going to become? I don't think so, but certainly some of my energy will be spent there. And what will it be like to spend so much time alone? How many days straight have I ever spent alone? 2? 3? Marc Sani will be joining me for the first 2 weeks or so, and I'll bet I appreciate not having to go directly to a solo experience right off the shore at Anacortes. But what kind of company am I going to be to myself? It will be interesting to find out. Will my excitement for the journey last? Will I get bored with the monotony of the same coastline day after day? Will I reach a point where I've had enough of the experience and I just want to make a beeline for Skagway? Or to the nearest ferry stop?

I originally thought there would be 2 things of most concern for me: weather and bears. That part of the world isn't known for its warm, sunny climate, and the sto

1 comment:

Wilderness Classroom said...

I am looking at paddling from Seattle to Skagway and I have enjoyed your blog. Was 3 months plenty of time? Did you take any side trips, or wind days? I am trying to figure out how long we should allow.

Is it best to paddle from South to North because of the winds?

Thanks for keeping such a great blog.

Dave Freeman
www.wildernessclassroom.com